Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Avoiding Flame Retardants: Crib Mattresses


Baby’s crib mattress worried me more than any of the other items I had to purchase for Frankie because he was going to spend more than 12 hours a day on it. Now that he’s here and has started flipping himself onto his tummy to sleep with his face pressed up against the mattress, I’m certainly happy that I made sure his crib mattress didn’t have any flame retardants for him to breathe in. In the end, the crib mattress that I settled on was not only free of flame retardants, it was also free of any toxic materials.

Like pajamas, mattresses are also required to meet certain flammability standards. As such, basically all mattresses have flame retardants. I decided to start my search by Googling “organic crib mattress.” In doing so, I came across sites like the ones below that helped guide me. 

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/flame-retardants-in-your-babys-crib-mattress-heres-how-to-avoid-it.html
http://www.healthychild.com/safe-non-toxic-organic-crib-mattresses/